There are a few unwritten rules within the fashion industry. One, a good pair of jeans is everything. And two, that a blazer will dress up any outfit. But apart from the failsafe denim and jacket combination, what other items are on the ‘must own’ list that all cool girls seem to adhere to? Well, let us help you out.
Apart from a great pair of boots, a chic leather jacket and a go-to summer dress, there are plenty of pieces every 20-something woman should own. Whether it’s the perfect investment handbag or a coat that will take you from spring to winter, the below 17 items are non negotiable for anyone who likes to call themselves interested in good style.
We’ve looked to It girls from across the world to see which items keep popping up. Trends aside, there are a few that keep on coming around — season after season. From workwear staples to off duty musts, these women manage to curate a capsule wardrobe with just 17 pieces, all of which can be worn together to create the ultimate outfit. Forget about trends, these 17 pieces are basically all you need. Add in the odd seasonal purchase and you’ve got yourself a sustainable and chic wardrobe.
17. An investment bag that'll last you forever
16. A pair of boots really made for walking
15. A leather jacket that can take you from desk to dinner
14. Yes, a white shirt
13. A lightweight trench coat
12. A slip dress you can wear to a wedding and on the weekend
11. Jeans that make you feel like a supermodel
10. A staple day dress
9. A grown up suit jacket or blazer
8. A camel coat that will make everything that little bit more French
7. A pair of good quality sunglasses
6. Comfortable sneakers you can live in on the weekend
5. An off duty jumper that'll feel like a hug
4. A denim jacket for that in-between weather
3. A work-ready two piece
2. A bougie fur coat
1. A neutral knit