When Ryan Murphy (creator of Glee and American Horror Story) signed a mega-deal with Netflix last year, we couldn't wait to see what the iconic screenwriter would come up with. Hollywood is Murphy's latest project, and the show sounds like the aspirational period piece we all need in our lives right now.
Watch The Trailer For Netflix's New Drama 'Hollywood'
Here’s everything we know about the upcoming series that you should bookmark on Netflix.
What's the plot?
The plot follows an alternate 1940s Hollywood. The limited 7-part series will mix real Hollywood figures from the 1940s and fictional characters to reimagine what Hollywood could have been. As the show’s creators noted, it’s an “aspirational tale of what-ifs.”
“With the present so fraught and the future uncertain, we turned to the past for direction, uncovering buried history to spin an aspirational tale of what ifs,” Janet Mock, the show’s executive producer, writer, and director shared with the Hollywood Reporter. “What if a band of outsiders were given a chance to tell their own story? What if the person with greenlight power was a woman? The screenwriter a black man? What if the heroine was a woman of color? The matinee idol openly gay? And what if they were all invited into the room where the decisions are made, entering fully and unapologetically themselves to leave victorious and vaunted, their place in history cemented?”
Who's been cast?
- David Corenswet (The Politician, Affairs of State) as Jack Castello
- Darren Criss (The Assassination of Gianni Versace) as Raymond Ansley
- Jeremy Pope (The Ranger) as Archie Coleman
- Laura Harrier (Spider-Man Homecoming, BlacKkKlansman) as Camille Washington
- Samara Weaving (Ready or Not) as Claire Wood
- Dylan McDermott (American Horror Story, The Practice) as Ernie
- Holland Taylor (Legally Blonde, Two and a Half Men) as Ellen Kincaid
- Patti LuPone (Driving Miss Daisy, Pose) as Avis Amberg
- Jim Parsons (The Big Bang Theory) as Henry Wilson
- Jake Picking (Goat, Horse Girl) as Rock Hudson
- Joe Mantello (The Normal Heart) as Dick Samuels
- Maude Apatow (Euphoria) as Henrietta
- Mira Sorvino (Romy and Michele's High School Reunion) as Jeanne Crandall
- Rob Reiner (All in the Family) as Ace Amberg
- Michelle Krusiec (Saving Face, The Invitation) as Anna May Wong
When does it air?
It starts streaming on May 1.