So what is toner?
Toner is an easily absorbed liquid with the consistency of water that delivers skin with a dose of balancing hydration. Toner is best used after cleansing and before applying serums, moisturiser and SPF. Depending on the formula, toner also commonly contains acids (glycolic and salicylic) which remove stubborn dirt and dead skin cells.
Here, we've rounded up the best toners that stop and treat oily skin.
RELATED: How-To Heal Adult Acne Marks—Fast
10. Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner ($26; at mecca.com.au)
This alcohol-free formula contains Glycolic acid and grapefruit extract, which work together to unclog pores and gently exfoliate. Bella Hadid and Kylie Jenner are fans of Mario Badescu's acne-fighting products.
9. Fresh Rose Deep Hydration Facial Toner ($62; at sephora.com.au)
After only landing in Australia in early 2018, Fresh's range of all-natural products is winning hearts around the country. In addition to this toner's divine smell, it's infused with real rose petals, helping to clear the skin of surface debris, pollution particles, and residual impurities.
8. Clinique Clarifying Lotion 4 ($29 for 200ml; at clinique.com.au)
Designed specifically for oily skin types, this toner eliminates the build-up which commonly causes blemishes.
7. Dermologica Breakout Clearing All Over Toner ($29; at dermalogica.com.au)
This formula aims to control excess oil, boasting cooling extracts which leave skin feeling fresh and revived.
6. Avène Cleanance Mattifying Toner ($30; at pricleine.com.au)
The French pharmacy toner is formulated for acne-prone skin. Boasting ingredients which work to purify and tighten pores leaving the skin looking shine-free.
5. Caudile Beauty Elixer ($24; at sephora.com.au)
Beloved by celebrities and make-up artists alike, this best-selling formula contains essential oils and plant extracts to clarify the skin. Plus, it doubles as a make-up setting spray and skin refresher.
4. Pixi Glow Tonic ($45; at sephora.com.au)
Not just a pretty package, this exfoliating toner boasts more even, brighter and clearer skin.
3. Estee Lauder Perfectly CleanMulti-Action Toning Lotion/Refiner ($48; at esteelauder.com.au)
This multi-action product works as a toner to condition and balance skin. And as a refiner, it removes dry, dull skin cells.
2. Bioderma Hydrabio Tonique Moisturising Toning Lotion ($33; at priceline.com.au)
This toning water contains micelles which pick-up the main culprits that cause an oily complexion: dirt, sebum and make-up. This alcohol-free formula can also serve as a make-up remover which won't irritate the gentle skin around your eyes.
1. Kate Somerville Clarifying Treatment Toner ($38; at mecca.com.au)
Worth the splurge, this product helps to decrease shininess and clarify skin, without stripping or over-drying.