Seven-month-old Alex McCartney died days after he was found face down in the bath, after his mother left the room for two minutes to boil the kettle.
According to the Belfast Telegraph, his mother, Joanne Pedlow, had stepped out of the room and was momentarily sidetracked when guests arrived at the front door. She raced back to the bathroom when she heard her 2-year-old daughter screaming, though she was unable to resuscitate her son. He died four days later, in his mother's arms, in hospital.
Pedlow spoke about the heartbreaking incident afterwards, revealing she had placed Alex in his baby bath seat, which was secured to the tub with suction cups, and the water did not move past the bath seat's water level marker. His sister was also in the bath with him.
"He was quite a big child and was quite heavy, I think he had leaned forward and toppled [the seat] over," she said.
The coroner on the case spoke out about the incident, saying she hopes this tragedy will prevent another from losing their life.
"This has highlighted the important issue for parents about the dangers posed when a child is left unsupervised for a short period of time and even in the shallowest of water," Suzanne Anderson said in court. "Hopefully this message will serve to spare the agony this family has had to endure."